Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Ash Wednesday - Into the Shadowlands

So Lent starts!  Sara is following 40 Acts of Lent (doing things rather than giving up things) and today accompanied me to the Ashing Service at St. John's which was taken by Cynthia.  Sara enjoyed the service very much and I think is getting a better feeling for some of the more traditional services and their importance in the Anglican liturgical year. Following the service I drove Cynthia and me to Pitton for the weekly Staff Team Meeting to finalise arrangements for Holy Week which ended quite quickly.  The road between Winterslow and Pitton is heavily flooded and we decided to return to Winterslow along the A30.  This afternoon I took Mary into Salisbury where she met a friend and her sister and father for a trip to the cinema.  The father later brought Mary and her friend back and stayed and chatted over tea whilst I made a fire.  This evening, with the fire blazing, we watched "Shadowlands" - the story of C. S. Lewis's relationship with his wife - which brought tears to the eyes of Sara and myself.  Mary, who also watched it with us, was completely unmoved by it!  Mary has never shown any emotion at any film including the Railway Children and War horse - both of which leave me blubbing "uncontrollably". 

No comments:

Post a Comment