Saturday, February 02, 2013

Give me Strength

Sara and Thom were up early today - Thom to do his paper round and Sara to take an early morning ramble with Jane M.  Sara didn't return until nearly 10 a.m. having walked the circuit to East Winterslow and back.  I washed up and made breakfast and then spent the rest of the morning completing my "Living the Christian Life" portfolio which I placed in an envelope for delivery to my tutor at Church House.  I fantastic feeling of achievement as I sealed it up - one more out of the way - only another five  to go this year and another twelve in total.  I need to complete an essay on preaching so that a further two portfolios can be completed before Easter. I also updated this blog (which has laid abandoned for a week and a half) with a narrative on my trip to Cornwall and my studies ever since my return.This afternoon I accompanied Sara, Mary and her friend Izzy to Southampton where we went shopping in West Quay.  I experienced Hollister's for the first time and although it is not an experience I would choose to have, it is still not as bad as IKEA!  We left the girls to their own devices and had tea in M&S.  I managed to buy myself a new pair of black Oxfords in the BHS sale which will do me just fine for Masonic events and for when I am leading worship and preaching.  I need black shoes to go with my black cassock.  On my return home  I started writing my lecture on Boaz (which means "in strength" in Hebrew) for the lodge meeting in Salisbury on Wednesday which I am also giving to my mother lodge in Brighton on Monday-week.  Tonight, Sara, Mary and I watched the film "The Iron Lady" which I had intended to see at the cinema.  I am glad I didn't.  Whilst the casting is brilliant - and Meryl Streep particularly good - I found the portrayal of Mrs. Thatcher as an old woman suffering from dementia disrespectful of one of Britain's greatest prime ministers.  Whatever her current state of health, it was unnecessary.  Whilst I understand that many people, especially towards the end of her "reign", found her difficult and domineering, the fact remains that she was a stateswoman and none of the prime ministers which have followed her have shown anything like the qualities she did.  My own political fortunes within the Conservative Party rose and fell with her time in office and I shall always admire her for her tenacity and strength of conviction. 

No comments:

Post a Comment