Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Shrove Tuesday - Pancakes & Beer

I must have been very tired yesterday as I didn't wake up this morning until 8.30 a.m.  Normally I would have gone with Peter to "Wheelies" for breakfast but because we spent so much time chatting in the kitchen over mugs of tea, time beat us as we both had to get on our respective ways.  I called in briefly at Sainsbury's in West Hove and bought a breakfast sandwich and topped up the car with fuel.  After yesterday's slow drive along the A259 and assuming that the A27 was still blocked I chose the scenic A272 route which I knew would not take me any longer despite the speed restrictions and the plethora of speed cameras.  I arrived home just after Sara had returned from a meeting of Ladies who Latte at Andover.  I opened my robes in private and tried them on and was delighted that they fitted perfectly. It felt extremely strange and was expecting Mrs. Doyle to appear at any moment to offer me "Tea Father?"  I have carefully put them in a carrier and hung them up in my study. I shall first wear them in public on Sunday 24 February when I take the Evening Prayer service at Whaddon. As it is Shrove Tuesday, the kids had pancakes tonight - quite thick American style ones made by Sara.  Tonight we held our first Pub Theology meeting at the other pub - Lion's Head - which was attended by just four.  Despite the small number we had a very good and enlightening discussion which I believe was appreciated by all present.  Anton provided us with a Chinese curry - massive portions too.  Unfortunately, the person who specifically wanted us to hold it at this pub didn't turn up - this was a shame.  I did. however, get into a theological discussion with another patron of the pub who, whilst not a member of our group, certainly asked some searching questions.  Last pint of beer tonight before Lent starts tomorrow! 

No comments:

Post a Comment