Monday, March 30, 2009

Back to Work

After a fantastic weekend it was back to work with a bump today. However, although the clocks had gone forward, it was already quite light when I woke up at 5.30 a.m. I made tea and prepared a packed lunch as I decided that rather than have a cooked lunch in the restaurant today, I would take in some sandwiches with yoghurt and fruit and sit and read my Alpha book - Questions of Life - there are two more chapters left which I want to finish before Friday's meeting. I left home at 7.10 a.m. and picked Anthony up at Grateley Station at 7.30 a.m. After leaving Winterslow I ran into fog and the weather was rather grim when I finally arrived at Grateley. We didn't have much to say in the car - Anthony nodding off from time to time - and I didn't want to talk about work. The morning was largely taken up by a meeting relating to one of the tribunals we have and Belinda, my no. 2, was on holiday but brought her 15 month boy in to the office when she came in to drop something off. He was a charming little boy - very chatty and cheeky. At lunchtime I declined to join Anthony and others for an hour-long lunch and instead walked over to our Sports and Social Club half an hour later to eat my packed lunch and read my book in the quiet and comfort of an armchair in the main lounge. I managed to finish one chapter and read half of another. The sun was shining brightly by this time and having been absorbed in my book, I felt on top of the world and refreshed to face the afternoon's stint at my desk. I don't know whether it was reading my book, or the better and lighter weather or a combination of both, but I felt more alive than I have done in many months. I think it might be because I am seeing things in context better than before. I am now really looking forward to getting away next week to Spring Harvest and have made a firm decision, which I communicated today to my secretary, that I have no intention of being disturbed by work issues during those five days in Minehead. I left promptly at 5.30 p.m. and got back in time for Sara to go off to Five Rivers Leisure Centre for her gym induction night. Tom was upstairs on his computer game console whilst Mary was next door playing with the two girls. I later found out that Tom hadn't done some homework and I expressed deep concern that he had elected to play computer games rather than doing homework due in tomorrow. Mary returned back and went to bed after watching TV for a short spell. Whilst the kids were occupied and Sara was out I made a good start of clearing up the study - finding old papers and either shredding them or putting them in the recycling bin. On her return Sara predictably watched more Desperate Housewives and I wrote up the blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment