Friday, March 13, 2009

Red Nose Day


To Dorking today - this first time since Monday. Although my office base I seem to visit it very infrequently these days with most of my work in Salisbury. The traffic was not too bad but heavy roadworks have started on the M3 between Junctions 4 and 3 which will make using the M3 horrible on Monday mornings. It was Red Nose Day and I wore my red Liverpool FC shirt to work paying £1 to the charity for the privilege. I also enjoyed listening to Radio 4 on the car radio with Jo Brand acting as the continuity girl and insulting the Today Programme presenters in the process. We had a senior managers' meeting this morning when we discussed the new performance management and bonus schemes in the new culture. This meeting went on for longer than anticipated and I had to leave it early to go straight into another (telephone) meeting relating to employment tribunal cases in Exeter. I had to eat "on the hoof" taking my sandwiches with me to eat during the meeting. It was then a matter of dealing with admin. matters such as expenses claims for me and my assistant and organising my calendar for next week - more travel to the north west. This evening was taken up with the Alpha Course when we studied Prayer - How, when and why? Another powerful presentation form Nicky Gumbel. This was followed by coffee and a good discussion. The group is really gelling well together and a couple of hours of alpha is a great antidote for a busy commercial life at work. It is so lovely to sit and discuss spiritual topics and allow faith to grow. I just hope and pray that I can bring what I learn on these evenings into practice to see fairness and justice in my working life. Today has also been quite a contrast as I have only seen Sara for two hours! They do say that absence makes the heart grow fonder.

No comments:

Post a Comment