Sunday, March 22, 2009

A Daffodil Day

I was awoken quite late for me at 7.45 p.m. by my ringing mobile phone. It was Sara to thank me for the three Mothers' Day presents she had received - some Insolence perfume from me, a book entitled Living with Teenagers from Tom and Dannie Abse's "The Presence" from Mary. She seemed delighted with them all. I am afraid I grunted any responses like a teenager myself as I was not quite awake. Having been woken, I made tea and then had a shower. Tom was up late too - he was sharing a bedroom with Sam and I could hear the "gentle" thud of unrecognizable music coming from the room as well as the obvious sounds of Match of the Day. After a breakfast of toast and marmalade and having mustered the lads, we set off for Christ Church, Linnet Lane for the Mothers' Day service. It was a very informal affair which suited Tom well. The children read the Old Testament and Gospel readings as well as the intercessions. The service was conducted by David, the priest, who had the whole congregation laughing openly when he reminded them that there would be an early morning service on Easter Day - open air on Otterspool Promenade at 6 a.m.!! He hoped there would be a few more there this year compared to last when it had been just him in his car with his dog! The children were each given a small bunch of daffodils for their Mums and some jammy dodgers (with red hearts) for themselves. Tom lit a candle for Sara, Gillian and Mum. I spent some time with Chris, the Reader, looking at all the works being done at the church - some £80,000 already. A third of the pews have been removed to make a very large area at the back which will have a glass ceiling to retain the feeling of loftiness and light but also give warmth. The area can be used for semi-circular seating - a bit like St. Paul's in Salisbury - with a stage area and exhibition area. By facing east the congregation can also still use the existing pews as a traditional church for weddings etc. We could certainly do something like that in Winterslow but it would not be so easy as All Saints can only be half the size, at most, of Christ Church. After a lunch of sausage and bacon baps, Tom and I set off home. We stopped off at the Mersey Retail Park near the old Speke Airport to get Tom a new pair of trainers, before setting off properly. The weather was wonderful (although cold outside) and we returned home via Chester, through North Wales and Wrexham, Shrewsbury, Leomister, Gloucester and Swindon. It took a little longer than going up yesterday but it was a lovely journey all the same. Once home I spoke to Mum on the phone to wish her a happy Mothers' Day. A nice bath and an early night.

No comments:

Post a Comment