Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Grim night for my football teams


Working in Salisbury today I went into the office at around 8.25 a.m. Before leaving I hoisted the white rose of Yorkshire flag to celebrate my niece Hannah's birthday. She was born in York. As it was market day in the city the traffic was very heavy indeed. I worked in the HR Department as usual and Sara and I had lunch together followed by a walk to the bank. I continued working until just before 5 p.m. when I returned home to take Tom and me to the Saints v. Derby County game at St. Mary's. We were able to park in our usual spot and visited our fish and chip shop in St. Mary's Road where we had fish and chips and sausage and chips with curry sauce. Yummy! Before going into the Stadium we bought away tickets for the Blackpool v. Saints game at Blackpool on Saturday 21st March. Tom and I will go up on that Saturday and stay overnight in Liverpool with Malcolm and Sam and probably have a Chinese meal at Walton afterwards. We also popped into the shop and got two away shirts which are currently half price and with two for the price of one - excellent value. On entering the stadium we were greeted by a few of our season ticket colleagues who humorously told me to get back out as the Saints had won on both of the two occasions I had stayed away recently! In fact, one of them suggested that our seats should be unscrewed. I am not sure if I was the "Jonah" but Saints were winning 1-0 until 19 minutes to the end and the final result was 1-1. Derby nearly scored the winner too. It was a scrappy match and Saints' relegation woes were increased by the other teams near us at the bottom of the table winning tonight. In League 2, Bournemouth had a good win away against Exeter which has sent Grimsby Town down into the bottom two and staring non-league football in the face again. All in all, not a good day for my teams. The only silver lining, football wise, was Liverpool beating Real Madrid to go through to the quarter finals of the Champions' League competition.

No comments:

Post a Comment