Sunday, March 08, 2009

Skating Away


Although a Sunday it was another early morning as Tom was playing for Clarendon Juniors' Under 12s away at Larkhill against top of the league Durrington Rangers today. I attended the 8 a.m. Early Morning Communion at St. John's which was quite packed - probably because the main service at All Saint's today is a Praise Service which does not appeal to some. I would have liked to have gone to the praise service, especially following yesterday's events at St. Paul's but I need to take Tom up to Larkhill for 10.30 a.m. Tom and I arrived for the match at around 10.25 a.m. and I sat in the car and listened to the Omnibus Archers on Radio 4 and drafted yesterday's blog as a word document. I have since had problems trying to cut and paste and post the blog and so it will have to appear at a later date when I have more time. Suffice it to say yesterday was a brilliant day from start to finish with the Alpha Retreat during the day and attending the Al Murray show with Klynn in Bournemouth in the evening. Anyway, back to the football match - Clarendon lost 5-4 but Tom scored a brilliant goal which I missed!! Back home we had lunch of roast gammon and then Tom and I drove over Basingstoke to Planet Ice - the ice rink where Sara had her nasty fall. Much to his annoyance and my delight I stayed upright for the whole 50 minutes or so I was on the ice whilst Tom fell over several times! . I was a little hesitant at first in light of Sara's recent experience and I think Tom was really looking forward to seeing me audition for "You've been Framed". I started by making three circuits of the rink close to the edge but as my confidence grew and pushed off into the middle and my old "skills" returned. I realised it was a bit like riding a bicycle - once done never forgotten - but it may take me another visit to gain the confidence to get up to the speeds I once did. I realise that I am not as light and supple as I once was - it is eighteen years since I was last on the ice at a rink - but it is tremendous exercise. Tom left the rink about 10 minutes before I did because I was enjoying myself so much and found it difficult to tear myself away. I have had many a happy hour skating in the past especially with ex-girlfriends (they weren't "ex" at the time mind!). Sara prepared us a typical English tea on our return. A packed weekend - but still with a dripping tank!

No comments:

Post a Comment