Friday, June 19, 2009

Stop the Traffik Meeting

A day in London today. I caught the 8.27 a.m. train from Grateley to Waterloo arriving in London at around 9.50 a.m. Sara phoned me to say that our neighbour "E", the one-man neighbourhood watch - had banged loudly on our door this morning complaining that our House Group visitors had parked "illegally" last night on the pavement and generally making a fuss. He has virtually alienated himself from every family in the Close - and beyond! I took the Bakerloo Line to Elephant and Castle and then the Northern Line and Hammersmith & City Line to Farringdon. I had a meeting with Pinsents, solicitors, at 11 a.m. about 200 yards walk from the tube station. The meeting started early and went well and we continued through a sandwich lunch. I was, therefore, able to get to Stop the Traffik's offices in good time - indeed, I went into The Hub coffee shop for a pot of tea which was very refreshing after the heat and sweat of the London Underground. I arrived at Stop the Traffik's offices in good time for my meeting with Ruth who greeted me in reception and whisked me upstairs to their centre of operations to introduce me to two members of staff I haven't seen or met before. After that she led me through the labyrinth of offices back down to The Hub where she bought me a second cup of tea and a flapjack. We spent an hour discussing Stop the Traffik initiatives and Spring Harvest and we seemed to get along well with sound exchanges of ideas. I found her a lovely, sensitive and energetic person and it will be good to work with her and her team on helping with the various STT projects and plans. We parted agreeing that she would send me some papers by email to look at next week and we would meet again in July. I arrived home in good time to attend the Church's Stewardship Campaign meeting at Roche Court. We had an excellent supper of fresh cooked ham, quiche, beautiful brie cheese, bread, salad, potatoes and plum crumble and gooseberry fool. The presentation was given by Richard who emphasised the budget shortfall of some £17,000 which equated to 3o-odd people upping their weekly giving by £10. I stopped by Klynn's on the way home and after about an hour's chat with him and Susan, Klynn and I went over to the Lion's Head for a couple of pints to discuss my day. Anton gave me a British Lion's flag to fly on our pole tomorrow for the Lions v. South Africa Rugby Union match. We received a lovely bottle of wine from Geoff and Liz next door for having had a scaffolding pole on our land and having flown the New Zealand flag on our pole for their daughter Holly's birthday - she being born in New Zealand.

No comments:

Post a Comment