Saturday, June 06, 2009

In an English country garden

A day spent almost entirely in the garden or on gardening related activities. However, I started the morning by cycling to Roger's in Tytherley Road for the monthly Men's Breakfast. We had an excellent full English breakfast again of bacon, sausage, egg, tomatoes and beans with coffee and toast. I gave the presentation this morning choosing as my subject the topic of Stop the Traffik's chocolate campaign. It came as quite a surprise to everybody present that child slave labour is used so prolifically in the harvesting of the cocoa bean. I handed out some of the Fairtrade coupons for them to give out to retailers when they buy Fairtrade chocolate. Back home I had a coffee before tackling the massive job of trimming the hedge around our boundary using a combination of shears and my new tree lopping tool. In the end I had a mass of debris which I needed to dispose of. Sara and Mary were at ballet school and then went to All Saints for a wedding in which Mary was singing in the choir. Afterwards Sara returned home and Mary went off with Sara M and Molly to a birthday bowling party at Strikes. I continued to work on the hedge and Klynn helped me to gather up all the debris into a large tarpaulin which we wrapped up and put in the back of the car to take to the Amesbury Recycling Centre. I had never visited it before and was impressed as to how organised it was with more car parking and a larger selection of different types of materials for recycling than at Salisbury. Our green waste went into a special skip which has a mulching/composting mechanism. They sell the compost resulting from this production. As a treat, and because neither of us had had any lunch, Klynn and I treated ourselves to a KFC Variety Bucket at Solstice Retail Park. Having finished trimming the hedge I then mowed both front and back lawn. They looked really good - neat and tidy. Tonight, after a supper of spaghetti bolognese and red wine, I booked the Comfort Suites for our second week in Nassau although got one of the dates wrong so I'll need to speak to them to make an amendment. At least we will now have accommodation for the full 15 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment