Wednesday, June 17, 2009

A Good Hand - Farewell to David and Andrea

Today was the last day we would see David and Andrea before they return to the States tomorrow. I hoisted the Confederate battle flag which they had kindly given to me as a present. I had breakfast of black pudding and toast before driving into Salisbury where I was working today. I had meetings with Serena and Jadine on difficult topics which made me quite sad. At lunchtime I met up with Sara, David and Andrea and we went to Reeves for a lunch of Wiltshire pasties. It was really good to get out of the office as I've had a nagging headache all morning. This afternoon I had more meetings with Serena and discovered that some work I had already started was no longer required. I left the office a little early still feeling a bit jaded. Before arriving home I stopped off at Natalie's to deliver some Virgin Vie product from Sara and had a lovely chat with her mother, Mavis, who used to be the receptionist at the Salisbury office, who asked after Sara and seemed very saddened that Sara was being made redundant. I then called in on Klynn and Susan to retrieve the DVD and course guide for the Home Group tomorrow. Klynn made a cup of tea and we sat in his study discussing the outcome of the discussions at the Home Group at Maxime's last week. Maxime is anxious for the group to go out and help the homeless or a charity and whilst that is a good idea we must ensure that the study and teaching continues in the informal groups. No doubt we will discuss this further at the meeting tomorrow. Back home, David and Andrea were already there and David was cooking us an Italian meal in the form of garlic chicken and mushrooms in a cream sauce with tagliatelle. Mary was very excited but Tom was quite glum as he had come 11th out of 13 in a 1000 metre race at Charlton near Andover. He had been in the lead for most of the way until the last lap when he was boxed in and overtaken. Hopefully he will learn from this experience. Everybody was in good spirits around the dinner table - the food David prepared was excellent and we drank a couple of bottles of wine between us. We ended the evening by playing blackjack (with Tom changing the rules each hand!) and watching a highlighted version of our wedding video which we have managed to get on DVD and copied for David and Andrea to take back to the States. David off-loaded some Kentucky bourbon, eggs and cheese and it was with quite some sadness that Mary and I waved them goodbye as Sara drove them back to their cottage in Wilton. Tomorrow night they'll be back in North Carolina. In all probability we will visit them out there next year either on the way to or on the way back from our place in Nassau.

No comments:

Post a Comment