Friday, June 12, 2009

A Happy Reunion with Paella

An historic day today. We were to meet Sara's father and wife for the first time for nearly eleven years and in Mary's case for the first time ever. I worked in the Salisbury office today until 4 p.m. apart form a brief break at 1 p.m. for lunch. I left the office promptly at 4 p.m. to drive to Quidhampton to pick up David and Andrea and bring them back to Winterslow. The meeting went very well and they were delighted to see us all. They brought presents of a tee shirt for Tom, some personalised writing pads for both of the children, some Reeses' peanut butter chocolate, a selection of flags for me - North Carolina, Confederate States and Confederate Battle flag, yellow roses for Sara and a New England coat hanger. The re-union was very relaxed and went very well. I cooked my signature dish of paella which contained chicken, chorizo sausage, prawns, squid, scallops and mussels. I was very pleased with the result and it tasted one of my best ever. We washed it down with some of the excellent Spanish red wine I bought yesterday (I gave the second bottle to David to take back to their cottage). Before sitting down to the table we had some celebratory champagne and toasted "Happy Families". After the paella we had a selection of cheeses, coffee and Courvoisier cognac. The atmosphere was light and enjoyable with many anecdotes and jokes surrounding Sara's life and the quiz questions. Sara drove them back to Quidhampton afterwards whilst I attended to the dishes. All in all a very successful day and evening. Tomorrow is the big one with Sara's party at the Village Hall.

No comments:

Post a Comment