Wednesday, September 08, 2010

Bangs!

Not particularly good weather this morning. It had rained heavily overnight and so, after taking Mary to school, I dropped Sara off at Morning Star in her car and returned home to the accompaniment of a horrible banging noise coming from underneath the rear offside of her car. Back home, I stripped the car of all its contents including the spare wheel and jack and took it for a test run - still no difference. I then removed the seats with the help of Sara on her return, again the banging seemed louder than ever. I booked it into the local village garage for tomorrow morning. I suspect it could be something quite major like the shock absorbers having had a similar problem myself many years ago. I cut the front lawn this afternoon and then stripped my car of its contents as Sara had to go out to Fordingbridge tonight and I was not happy with her taking her car. I gave her a few lessons on how to drive my sophisticated automatic car and she set off at around 6.30 p.m. after I had been and returned from Alderbury with Tom for his football practice (Gary brought him back). Mary needed picking up from Brownies this evening too. After they had gone to bed I watched a two-hour documentary about the nuclear arms development and race. Some rather dramatic film of the nuclear tests over the decades - although so destructive you can't help but be impressed by some of the wonderful shapes these enormous explosions make into the sky. Horrific yet beautiful at the same time. Fortunately, despite the amount of destructive nuclear tools that now exist, they have never been used in anger since 1945. Long may that remain. We hope never to see one of these mushroom clouds for real.

No comments:

Post a Comment