Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Farewell Champneys

My last day at Champneys Forest Mere. Woke later than normal - 8 pm, although I had got up in the night a couple of times - side effects of the thalassotherapy I think. Had quite a few dreams too but can't remember them now. Went down to the pool for a swim and got chatting to a nice retired couple from Weybridge - his first visit. He seemed impressed by the resort. His wife had been before and had finally managed to persuade him to come. I feel like an old-timer now. Breakfasted this morning at around 9.15 a.m. on soaked muesli, bagel and banana and fresh fruit and figs. Packed my things and cleared my room by 11 a.m. and then went to sit in the Piano Lounge to read my devotionals and start a biography of St. Paul whilst drinking a latte. Quite gripping. Left Champneys with a heavy heart at 12.30 pm. and was home at around 1.45 p.m. Spent the afternoon printing off my lecture for tomorrow night until the printer ran out of ink! Took Tom to his football training at Alderbury and bought new cartridges for my printer - it really does seem to drink the stuff - more expensive than vintage champagne per millilitre. Put in new cartridge and hastily ate a slice of pizza before dashing out again to pick up Gillian G to take us to the Joint PCC meeting at Pitton School. It was boiling hot in the main hall as we sat through the first part of the meeting generally agreeing to everything proposed. The second half of the meeting saw our individual Winterslow PCC sitting on tiny chairs at a tiny table discussing, at great length, the fabric of the church buildings leaving us only 10 minutes to discuss the weightier issue of growing the church - using my earlier paper as an agenda. Agreed we needed more spiritual growth through study and teaching and mentoring outside Sunday worship. Felt quite exhausted after all that. James suggested a drink in the Lion's Head but I declined as I have a very busy schedule ahead of me tomorrow - a funeral of a young colleague in Leatherhead and then a dash down to Brighton to deliver my lecture on Ezra and Nehemiah which requires me to print off more material tonight. Sara has a headache and feeling tired but is ironing a white shirt for me as I tap out this nonsense on the laptop keyboard. She informed me that Mary is quite distressed as Harriet the Hamster has "wet tail" which appears to be a terminal illness. The hamster is the equivalent of about 85 years old so has had a good innings. Doesn't make it any easier for Mary. Death is often very difficult for children to deal with when its a close pet. Goodnight!

No comments:

Post a Comment