Monday, September 13, 2010

Marlow to Henley

I slept reasonably well last night and kept reasonably warm. I realised just how cold the boat could get at night - especially as we are surrounded by the cold water of the Thames. Lee was already up as I carefully shifted myself out of the top bunk. After a quick visit to the "head" I made tea and returned to the warmth of my bunk bed to read my daily devotionals and Adrian Plass's "Diary of a Christian Speaker Aged 45 and Three /Quarters". After Lee and Christy had left for a day in London, David, Andrea and I breakfasted on fruit yoghurt and (David and I) pork pie smothered in English mustard. We weighed anchor at around 9.15 a.m. and motored upstream negotiating three locks - Temple Lock, Hurley Lock and finally Hambledon Lock before mooring alongside the Regatta Ground at Henley - just downstream from Henley's lovely bridge. Although there were only three of us, we managed to negotiate the three locks without damage to boat or crew. The first lock (Temple) did, however, prove a great challenge as there was no lock keeper present to take our lines. Andrea and I therefore had to take the ends of the ropes and jump ashore with them to prevent the boat swaying into the middle of the lock or smashing the bow against the lock chamber. The bow did strike the side of the lock resulting in a crunching sound and a disapproving look from the captain! No damage occurred though. The river upstream from Hurley is delightful - the water was very smooth - like glass - with wonderful trees overhanging around Poisson Deux and Magpie Islands. Arriving at Henley we strolled into the town for lunch at the Three Tuns Inn. The afternoon consisted of some window shopping including a visit to an "antique" shop selling all manner of "junk" including old tobacco tins and items I have consigned to the domestic recycling centres years ago. Perhaps I should think again before clearing out the study in too great a haste! Indeed, the shop made my study look like something in Ideal Home! For reasons I don't want to go into here I don't think I'll be returning in a hurry! It started to drizzle this afternoon and a decision was taken to buy cheese and biscuits and wine for a light snack on the boat this evening. We had tea and fresh cakes on board later this afternoon and some more chill-out time. My barrister friends Michael, who lives in Henley, wasn't available to meet up for a beer this evening as he was in Bristol doing a case. We had a most pleasant evening nibbling cheese and biscuits and drinking wine which flowed as copiously as David's anecdotes! Lee and Christy returned from London having got lost in the capital (somehow they visited The Elephant) and missing their connection at Twyford. It seems that the abundance of English pubs between Paddington Station and the boat kept them occupied. We all retired for the night around midnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment