Thursday, September 23, 2010

Farewell to Fiona - Delivering a Lecture in Brighton

Torrential rain greeted us this morning - on a monsoon scale! I awoke early and packed as I was spending tonight down in Hove on the Sussex coast again. Sara had our friend Sue H over for breakfast this morning (a breakfast that I later learned lasted until 12.30 pm!) and so I took Mary to school in my car because of the downpour. I returned at 9 a.m. and had a light lunch of fruit and croissants before setting off for Leatherhead where I was attending the funeral of a dear former colleague of mine in the Dorking office - Fiona Law - who had worked for Friends Provident since 1980 (ten years before I joined) and who retired the week after me, this year, due to a chronic illness. Unfortunately that illness had taken a grip and she died, aged 53, a couple of weeks ago. Her death was a kind release as she would have been paralysed for the rest of her life - something she would have hated. Although I left in good time the M25 was completely blocked between the M3 Junction and the Leatherhead exit and I made my way along the A and B roads to get to the crematorium with 20 minutes to spare. I met up with numerous former colleagues. The service was very dignified and traditional with the theme tune from the TV series Morse at the end. We all met up at Denbies Vineyard afterwards and I stayed until about 2.45 p.m. when I left for Hove. I arrived at Peter's at around 4 p.m. Tonight I delivered my lecture on the Ezra and Nehemiah to the members of Royal Sussex Royal Arch Chapter. There were about 17 companions present and the lecture was well received. I collected £22 for the Help for Heroes Charity as a result. We had an excellent dinner and I was toasted and feted. In fact, I have been asked to go to peacehaven at some time in the future to deliver it again. Tonight I stayed at Peter's and he, I and his brother Roger finished off the evening with a good glass of Barolo each.

No comments:

Post a Comment