Thursday, September 30, 2010

A Night in Brum

After a few days at home I spent most of today away from Winterslow - in Birmingham in fact! This morning I dealt with some important mail before changing into my best masonic suit to go to Warwickshire Installed Masters' Lodge in Birmingham along with the Tony C, the Worshipful Master of Wiltshire Masters' Lodge who lives near Fairford in Gloucestershire. I left home at around 12 noon and was at Tony's in Gloucestershire at 1.40 p.m. He has a lovely house overlooking a large fishing lake, part of the Cotswolds' Water Park, and actually half owns the lake with about a £1m worth of mature carp. Apparently it is very popular with anglers who will pay silly sums of money to sit on the side of the lake all day, catch fish and then threw them back in again at the end of the day. W set off in my car for Birmingham and arrived at our venue, the aptly named Clarendon Suites on the Hagley Road in Edgbaston at 3.30 p.m. - in good time for the meeting which started at 4.45 p.m. We had tea and looked around the Suites - wonderful purpose built masonic centre for what must surely be one of the richest provinces in the country. We were treated like VIPS and allowed to robe with the Grand Officers and Provincial Executive. The meeting started at 5.00 pm and lasted until 7.30 p.m. including some work by Provincial Grand Lodge. It was most interesting and we were treated to excellent ceremonies. There were 240 in attendance with just over 200 staying to dinner. We were entertained in the Grand Officers' private bar (I was only drinking ginger beer because of my status as chauffeur this evening) before entering the dining room for an excellent dinner of roasted mushroom topped with cheese and bacon, thick cut roast beef with cabbage, leek and roast potatoes followed by lemon parfait and coffee. We finally left Birmingham at 10.30 p.m. returning to Tony's at midnight and I finally got back home at 1.20 a.m. I felt quite alert on my return and had a coffee whilst watching a programme about kamikaze pilots. I finally dropped into bed at 2.30 a.m. with the rain starting to pour.

No comments:

Post a Comment