Thursday, April 21, 2011

Farewell to Roy Mills/Maundy Thursday Service

The summer certainly seemed to have arrived today and with it a summer sniffle as I woke up with a bit of a headache and sore throat. Off to Fat Fighters at Stockbridge where I surprised myself by finding that I had lost a further 1.5 lbs despite the unhealthy food consumed during my stewarding week at Spring Harvest. I suspect it will still catch up with me at some time. After our weigh-in Sara and I, with Mary, went to the Andover Garden Centre to buy another rose for Sara's rose garden. This afternoon, after a shower and a change of clothing into a dark suit, I drove to Baverstock to attend the funeral of Roy Mills, one of our oldest members of Sarum Lodge. The service was very traditional with the Corinthians reading taken from The KJV Bible and very traditional hymns. A lovely service and one which Roy himself had chosen. Rushing back, I had a brief evening meal of chicken fajitas before driving over to Farley Church Hall for the Maundy Thursday service where I was to give the first reading - Exodus 12. The service took the form of the traditional feet washing ceremony and Eucharist followed by a vigil in the church where I stayed until 10 p.m. After all the rushing about over the last few days it was nice to have an hour of quiet meditation with the hour going very quickly. Another busy day tomorrow with Good Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment