Friday, June 29, 2012

"The Glider"

I stupidly got up really early this morning to attend the fortnightly Ambassadors' meeting to realise, on arriving at the Grasmere House Hotel, that we never hold one on the fifth Friday in a month.  Still, I was able to use my trip into Salisbury to fill up with "cheap" diesel from the Shell garage on Wilton Road - 134.9p per litre.  Back home, I worked on the statements for my legal case and wrote the intercessions for my service on Sunday using the book, Parish Prayers.  I also ordered my own second hand copy online from Amazon for 1p (good condition but no dust jacket - not a problem).  I spoke to Jane D at Whiteparish to chose the hymns for Sunday.  This is now done.  Just need to write my sermon on two difficult pieces of scripture.  This afternoon I picked up Gordon Mitchell (retired clergyman in Alderbury) and we drove up to Corsham for a meeting of Wiltshire Masters' Lodge.  what a journey that is - some 50 miles up to the north-Wiltshire/Bath and North Avon border.  Lee Hill, my other guest, met us there.  A really good meeting with Eric Moody telling us his story (again) about how he piloted a British Airways Boeing 747 (City of Edinburgh) through a volcanic ash cloud on Flight 9 from Kuala Lumper to Perth with all four engines failing.  I've heard him speak on this before (at Sindlesham, Berkshire) as well as watched the TV programme, Air Disaster Investigation, on this incident.  I also used to live close to a member of BA cabin crew who was acquainted with the aeroplane dubbed "The Glider".  It's a great story and one I could never tire of hearing from Eric, who is a wonderful narrator.  A really good dinner tonight too - cold meats salad. Back home feeling really tired at 11 p.m.  Mary has Izzy over for a "sleep-over" and although it is now 12 midnight they clearly have no intention of going to sleep as I can hear giggling and movement in Mary's bedroom above my head.

No comments:

Post a Comment