Saturday, June 09, 2012

Jubilee Holiday Week


Monday 4th June

No rain today, thankfully.  A quiet morning after yesterday and just before 12 noon I set off for the Ageas Bowl in Southampton for the CB40 limited over cricket match (Hampshire v. Scotland).  Unlike most trips to the Bowl, this one provided a full afternoon's uninterrupted cricket with Hampshire winning the game by six wickets (Scotland 230 for 9; Hampshire 234 for 4).  As a member of Hampshire CC I was able to use the facilities of the Member's Enclosure and got a really good seat almost behind the wicket.  I was also able to take advantage of the member's car park which is a great saving.  Looking forward now to the T20 competition which tends to be on a Friday or Monday evening - both of which I can make.  Back home after the match, Sara, Mary and I went up to Robin Hill Farm to see the Beacon being lit and to enjoy the "bring and eat" BBQ. Over 200 villagers attended the event.  A wonderful occasion.

Tuesday 5th June

Back to the pouring rain again down here today.  We spent a leisurely morning watching the Jubilee Thanksgiving Service from St. Paul's Cathedral on the TV.  The weather in London seemed to be much better.  What a wonderful celebration - colourful and full of the pomp and majesty we associate with royal occasions.  After we had seen most of the celebrations we all went to the street party at The Flashett which was well named today as the marquee used for the occasion had a "river" flowing through the middle of it.  This didn't dampen anyone's spirits and we enjoyed a really great feast of snacks, cakes and booze.  Great occasion and a day we'll never forget.


Wednesday 6th June

After such a long weekend of celebrations, it seemed strange to be back at work today - but yes, I did have some work to do - notably sending out fee notes and catching up on so much paperwork which had gone by the wayside over these last few days.  This evening I attended a talk by Brother Yun ("The Heavenly Man") a Chinese refugee who escaped from a maximum security prison in China after being imprisoned for preaching the gospel in China.  The event took place at the Godolphin Girls School in Salisbury and organised by Vineyard Church and Flame International.  Brother Yun preached in Chinese with his Finnish friend interpreting into English.  I was expecting it to be just a talk but there was an hour of worship before and after Brother Yun's talk a period of the manifesting of the Holy Spirit.  I left early with the Clarendon clergy as it did seem that the whole affair would go on for some considerable time.  His story is certainly interesting and I shall order his book on line through Amazon.


Thursday 7th June

Sara had Mary and Myrna over for lunch today.  They arrived at 11.30 a.m. and stayed until 4.30 p.m.  I was working today and so only joined them briefly for lunch and again for afternoon tea before they left.  It seems incredible that Mary is approaching 80.  She really doesn't look like it at all.  The weather has turned cold and I actually lit a wood fire today - the first time I can ever remember doing that in June.  I managed to renew our season tickets for Southampton FC today after a few problems - including the fact that Tom has been listed on their records as an adult.  We had a small house group this evening - just five of us - but we continued to plough through Romans.  Felt really tired tonight.   Haven't been very far afield this week at all - the furthest has been to Southampton for the cricket.


Friday 8th June

My car went in for its first MOT today - in fact, its the first time a car of mine has needed an MOT in the last 25 years or so - I've always had new cars which I have replaced before they are three years old.  Thankfully it passed with flying colours - it should have too as I only recently paid for an expensive service at the same garage.  No advisory notifications either.  I went into the city centre for a coffee and a snack at Reeves whilst I waited for my car.  As I did so I received a phone call from our clients, ABC Networking, who invited me to join them for a reception at Fisherton Mill this evening and afterwards at City Hall to see comedians Shappi Khorsandi and Jon Richardson.  Sara couldn't attend but I enjoyed a marvellous evening and haven't laughed so much for ages.  A really fantastic evening. Its good to have clients who sponsor the Salisbury Arts Festival!   


Saturday 9th June

Up really early this morning to take Tom into the village shop to start his paper round.  I have spent most of today preparing for the service I am taking at Farley tomorrow morning - including writing my sermon which I didn't complete until this evening!  Normally I would have it done by Thursday at the latest.  Hope it goes okay tomorrow - in fact, it has ended up being the longest sermon I have so far written.  The furthest I have been today has been the village shop!  The book to be presented to our former churchwarden, Norman, arrived today as did my copy of Brother Yun's book "The Heavenly Man" which I shall now start reading as I have finished Golding's "The Spire". Eyes hurting a bit tonight with all the writing I have done today on the laptop.

No comments:

Post a Comment