Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Callings

Very hot again today - too hot to do much either inside or outside.  Some cheques I am expecting failed to materialise which was disappointing.  Sara spent the morning attending a Cheerleaders' Management meeting over in Downton and I took Mary with Hailey the Hamster to the vets in Bishopdown Farm as she is suffering from loss of fur and a redness of skin on her underside (the hamster that is, not Mary!).  Fortunately, the vet diagnosed a bacterial infection which is treatable with anti-biotics which need to be introduced into her water.  Mary, who would like to be a veterinary nurse, has an opportunity to test her calling by acting as Hailey's nurse for the next seven days. After this somewhat relatively expensive visit, I called into Church House to pick up my marked portfolio (Term 1) which had been assessed by Oxford Brookes University.  The mark given to me by the Diocese, a good pass mark, stands. Phew!  After a further visit to the recycling centre and Tesco's (what an exciting life I do lead!) I returned home.  It was "boiling hot" this afternoon and I remarked to Mary, as we drove out of Tesco's, that the car was registering a temperature of +33 degree Celsius (or 98 degrees F).  Very hot indeed and such a contrast from our "tribunal week"! Tonight I visited the Hook & Glove at Farley again - this time with Richard, Zoe and Mandy to give me an end of year assessment on how I am doing in my preaching and leading worship.  The upshot of the meeting was that I am "on course" (as far as my group is concerned) and they understand and respect my decision to fulfil my calling as a lay minister rather than being ordained.  I feel most comfortable in this role and really want to be that bridge between laity and clergy.  To this end it was confirmed that, in their eyes, I had not changed as much in my personality as those who are pursuing training for the priesthood. That is good, in my eyes, although I think Sara detects changes which others may not.  I am sure that there will be times when I may feel some frustrations at not being fully clergy but I think they will be rare.  When I see how stressed those wearing collars can become I am glad that, once the clerical robes are removed, as a lay minister I can return to being that "bloke with the flags who enjoys his beer at the Lion's Head on a Sunday evening".

No comments:

Post a Comment