Friday, July 06, 2012

Murray through to Wimbledon finals

The rain continues to fall - how absolutely awful.  I really cannot recall such a long period of continuous rain ever before in my lifetime.  Coupled with my severe cold I felt really miserable this morning.  Normally during summer, I would get extra exercise by cycling, playing tennis or playing golf but the weather just hasn't been conducive to any of these activities.  I therefore, and unusually, stayed in bed this morning until about 10.30 a.m..  Normally I would have attended the Ambassadors' Business Breakfast Meeting this morning but I really felt unwell and had no appetite.  I still had to deal with some paperwork and phone calls connected with next week's tribunal but other than that I had little energy for much at all.  The raining just continued to fall.  This evening, feeling a little better, Richard and I went to the Ageas bowl to watch Hampshire take on mighty Sussex in the T20.  Mighty Sussex indeed.  On arrival at The Bowl, we were greeted with blue skies and no rain, having left it behind in Wiltshire. Because of their far superior batting, Sussex put on an amazing 203 runs for the loss of 5 wickets by the eighteenth over when the rain started to pour down again.  Sussex were awesome with Matt Prior (England's wicketkeeper) hitting sixes and fours to make 81 runs off only 37 balls.  Hampshire were heading for a defeat as we couldn't see how they could match Sussex's run rate without taking risks and losing wickets.  We were not to find out as the game was abandoned resulting in Sussex having to share the points with Hampshire - one each.  This means that Hampshire are now almost certain to gain a quarter-final place - albeit an away fixture.  Another sporting triumph this evening, and a very historic one was Andy Murray's triumph at Wimbledon  being the first British tennis player to reach the finals since 1938!  There was great excitement in the Hampshire Members' Lounge as the semi-final victory was seen on the large TV screen.  Looking forward to an exciting Sunday final.

No comments:

Post a Comment