Saturday, July 21, 2012

Another Early Cooked Breakfast

Another early start today and another cooked breakfast.  This time it was the annual Men's Breakfast at the Village Hall with a total of 35 men attending.  an excellent breakfast as always - many thanks to Thelma Broadley for the excellent bacon and sausages (Lincolnshire and Cumberland).  The speaker this year was our very own Andrew Poppe whose talk was entitle "On a Wing and a Prayer" - the story of how he went from being a Flight Lieutenant in the Royal Air Force to an ordained priest - a fascinating story and one which I loved to hear.  It reminded me of my own calling and the need to get back on track after the diversions of my recent legal case work.    This was also reinforced when I got home as Tom was watching some recorded episodes of Rev.  The message coming across very loud and clear was that church minsters are just ordinary folk from ordinary and varied backgrounds. Thank you, Lord, for these messages of support and encouragement. I spent some time today gardening - raking all the loose clipping from my mowing of the bank yesterday and mowing the rear lawn again.  Although I say it myself, it now looks fantastic. I watched some of the England v. South Africa Test from the Oval on TV later this afternoon before doing an 8-mile cycling circuit to West Tytherley Church and back.  I was delighted to have done so as I found St. Peter's at West Tytherley quite a gem and was interested to read that one of its past rectors became Archbishop of Canterbury in the 1800s.  Fascinating stuff.   Still on the religious theme (sort of) we watched The Borgias this evening but because we missed the first episode it took some time to gather where we are in the plot.  After all the exercise today I must confess to feeling pretty tired tonight so some of this blog might appear to be a bit rambling.

No comments:

Post a Comment