Monday, July 23, 2012

Cycling to a closed pub!!

When I woke up this morning at 6.30 a.m. I was astonished to see fog out of the window. This usually means another hot day as predicted by the weather forecasters.  Sara took Tom to the dentist's early this morning and I worked in the study until about 11 a.m. when I took Mary, with her hamster Hailey, to the vets as Mary had noticed that the skin under her neck (the hamster's that is) was sore and the fur gone.  Fortunately, the vet diagnosed a bacterial infection which can be treated by antibiotics and salty water.  Mary will have to act as Hailey's veterinary nurse for the next seven days after which we'll take her back to see how she is progressing.  I called in briefly at Church House to pick up my first marked portfolio from Oxford Brookes University and also to the recycling station to get rid of an old footstool.  I had good intentions of further work this afternoon but it had become very hot and I was gripped by the cricket at The Oval.  England made a brave start this morning but were bowled out before tea by the South Africans who were able to claim a victory by an innings and 12 runs.  The first such victory against England at the Oval - another record broken.  This evening we all ate tea together- a rare event but one which we want to try and make a rule during the summer holidays at least -  and I cycled over to Farley village through Bentley Wood and back (a distance of just over 8 miles in total) intending to stop off at the Hook & Glove only to find that it is closed on Mondays!  I enjoyed a bottle of Guinness and a bottle of Magner's cider when I got home and I am drinking the cider as I write this.  At least I saved the cost of a pint of beer in the pub.  Other than my Support Group meeting tomorrow evening, ironically at the Hook & Glove! (which is open tomorrow). I have no appointments tomorrow.  Hopefully a couple of cheques from clients will arrive.

No comments:

Post a Comment