Sunday, July 08, 2012

Next year Andy? You did us proud.

Another strange day of strange weather.  For the first time in quite a while, Sara and I went to church together - both as congregants without any duties.  We attended All Saints Winterslow where Cynthia led and preached on the gospel reading of Jesus going back to his native village to teach and preach and not being well regarded.  Some very interesting thoughts entered my head as I heard those words.  As she also spoke about her time in Venezuela, little did I realise that listening to her intently would lead me to being able to answer a pub quiz question correctly later tonight - not that that should be the reason for  listening to sermons!  This afternoon Tom and I visited the Ageas Bowl to watch the T20 game against Essex - one point to secure Hampshire's quarter-finals place.  As we entered the Members' Pavilion, the heavens opened and we had half an hour of torrential rain! This was enough to result in the game being eventually, after several pitch inspections, abandoned.  Hampshire got themselves into the Quarter-Finals thanks to the weather!  Tom and I watched Andy Murray put up a brave fight against Roger Federer in the Wimbledon Mens' Singles Final.  He had a great start but, at the end of the game, was clearly no match for the stamina and expertise of such a fine tennis player as Federer. The one good thing about the poor weather was that Tom and I were able to sit in the comfort of the Members' Pavilion enjoying our drinks (and in my case an enormous Ploughman's Lunch too) and watch the tennis on a high definition flat screen TV.  I was very disappointed to find that in trying to get my £5 back for Tom's ticket. I would have to pay £3 admin fee.  Eventually, therefore, I will get a cheque in the post for £2 from Hampshire CC!  Lesson learnt - always pay by debit card!  Never cash.  Tonight I joined Richard, David and James for the pub quiz.  A large number of entrants tonight - 14 teams I recall.  Where did we ("Last of the Summer Wine") end up? - why top of course.  Back to our winning ways after a three-months break - bringing hope the bottles of wine!  The charity tonight was The Link Scheme - volunteer drivers to take the less-abled into Salisbury or collect their shopping etc.  A wonderful resource in the village.  Hampshire will play Nottinghamshire at Trent Bridge in the T20QF but on a Tuesday evening when I can't make it.  Pity.  Now a really busy week ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment