Saturday, July 07, 2012

Masonic Meeting in Calne. Will it never stop raining?

Yet more rain - fetes, sporting events, garden parties - all seem to be cancelled.  I was up early this morning and took Tom into work (paper round) before driving up to the north of the county to attend a masonic meeting at Calne to discuss the 3Rs initiative  -recruitment, retention and refreshment - although not necessarily in  that order - I always forget which order they are!.  I met Lee, our newest member there and was also surprised that it wasn't raining "up north".  A very interesting meeting with a number of lodges describing their recipes for successful retention and recruitment. Our lodge, Sarum, has tried most of these but still suffers - probably because of its demographics - mainly elderly masons who live away from Salisbury. I gave a short presentation on our own experience.  The meeting was followed by a buffet lunch and I then returned home.  The rain returned with a vengeance once I reached Devizes (I seem to be driving through that town at least once a week at the moment).  I was hurrying back to attend Morning Star's Garden Party where I was due to carve the pig at their hog roast.  Unfortunately it was - yes you've guessed it - cancelled.  The British Grand Prix was also affected today but the Wimbledon Women's Final went ahead with Serena Williams picking up her fifth title.  Still feeling really grotty at the moment.  It was good to find that a Freemason colleague of mine reads this blog and for those of you who have been following my ministerial training I have now added a link on this page to the blog which contains all my sermons delivered since I started preaching in January (http://pulpitmichael.blogsopt.com).  It's 10 p.m. as I write this and I think I'll have an early night. I have no church duties tomorrow but hope to get to see the Hampshire v. Essex T20 game tomorrow afternoon and then join my "Last of the Summer Wine" team in the pub quiz. 

No comments:

Post a Comment