Sunday, September 16, 2012

On Wing and Prayer!

I didn't feel like getting up very early this morning and so I decided to doze in bed.  I casually asked Sara if she had any duties at church this morning and she replied that she didn't.  I thought I better check so I got up and went down to my study to consult the Rota.  To my horror, although Sara's name was not on the rota, mine was - as Intercessor!  It was now 8.45 a.m. and the service started at 9.30 a.m.  We both sprung into action - Sara ironed  a shirt for me and put a couple of bacon rashers on the grill.  I quickly showered and sat down to write out some prayers of intercession!  I found a template which I had used before and quickly superimposed some prayers taken from this morning's news stories.  I arrived at church with five minutes to spare.  "You are doing the intercessions aren't you"? I was asked - "Yes, I replied, no problem, they are all done and ready.  I sat down in a pew and quickly did some further tweaking as the readings and sermon were presented - especially when somebody told me it was Battle of Britain Sunday.  I spoke clearly and confidently as I read out the prayers, allowing plenty of time for the congregation to reflect and for me to ensure I was still on track!  The congregation seemed to be delighted with them and I did let a few of the more discreet ones share my secret!  I cooked lunch for the family today - barbecued chicken with chorizo kebabs followed by grilled bananas with chocolate.  Afterwards, to walk off my lunch I delivered about a dozen stewardship campaign letters to addresses around us in Young's Paddock, Stone Close and Saxon Leas.  It was Pub Quiz night again tonight and "Last of the Summer Wine" were together again to take on the village.  Another convincing win of some 11 points and more wine to bring home.  They will be banning us soon I'm sure!

No comments:

Post a Comment