Sunday, September 30, 2012

A visit to St. Paul's

A Sunday free from Clarendon Team duties and so I decided to visit St. Paul's Church in Salisbury and sample their informal worship instead.  I parked my car at Waitrose and walked the to hundred yards or so to St. Paul's.  As I approached the church I could dozens and dozens of people making their way up the steps and towards the church.  It had the feel of people heading for an evening at the theatre or cinema rather than church.  I sat towards the back in a very comfortable chair next to an elderly retired Elim Pentecostal minister who lives, ironically, in one of the villages - West Grimstead - where I have preached.  The service started with a traditional George Herbert hymn and an introduction from the Vicar who wore his clerical collar but no robes. This was followed by a few praise songs in the Spring Harvest mode after which the children - some 50 or more - left to undertake some project work off site.  After some intercessions and a reading from Isaiah (Chapter 6) the sermon was delivered by one of the Associate Priests who wore no clerical gear at all.  A very good sermon on the topic of the Isaiah reading and the meaning of the term "holy" (pure, sacred, set apart).  The emphasis was on the "set apart" definition. After the service I chatted to the Pentecostal minister and his daughter over a coffee.  I returned to my car in Waitrose's car park and met up with Anthony H for a "catch-up" over more coffee in the restaurant there. This afternoon I cooked a late lunch for the family - chicken fillets stuffed with garlic and herb soft cheese as seen in the Philly advert!  Sara has ordered some fresh furniture for the Family room which we are going to convert into a second lounge for house group meetings and client meetings and as a room for quiet reflection, study and prayer.  A new sofa which can convert into a bed will ensure that it can also be used when we put up visitors.  With Sara's Dad and Andrea coming over next year it will be good to have a tranquil room for them. An early night tonight as I have a long day tomorrow with a stay over in Hove.       

No comments:

Post a Comment