Wednesday, October 10, 2012

A Grey Day

Another drizzly wet grey day today.  Fifty Shades of Grey ought to be the title of our weather forecast programmes on TV at present.  Sara did her usual stint at Morning Star and I attended Mid-Week Eucharist at St. John's which was taken by Nils.  Quite a good number in today for such a service - about 9 or 10 - and not the usual ones either.  Back home I set about finalising the accounts for Complex's year end which resulted in me accidentally deleting the complete cash book for 2011/2012!  Quite a few un-Christian expressions were uttered from my mouth!  Fortunately, after the shock and horror of what I had done had subsided I remembered that I had backed up the accounts file on my external hard drive about six weeks ago and I was, fortunately, able to re-construct the cash book in its entirety after about half an hour with the help of the copy on the hard drive and the last two complete bank statements. Added to this, the accounts revealed an abnormally high charge on our mobile phone statements.  Further investigation revealed that part of this (for my phone) was its use in Poland - I had actually forgotten that I had been overseas and the revelation that a charge of 36p is made for every MMS text.  Mary had also inadvertently subscribed to a scam music download service which was costing money to receive unwanted texts!  After two long conversations with Vodaphone I managed to get a block on the scam service and analysed the use of MMS texts.  I have told the family to send pictures by email - which is free - and not texts. All this did put my schedule back somewhat though.  Tonight, Richard, David, James and myself attended the Ambassadors' Quiz Night at the Silver Plough which was being put on by my Ambassadors' Group as a social event.  Simon, the photographer, had organised a very professional event with the use of PowerPoint for the questions and we had a meal of chilli con carne or lasagne with rice, salad, toasted panninis and sour cream and tacos.  All for £5.  Excellent value.  "Last of the Summer Wine", our quiz team name, acquitted themselves again and we each came away with a bottle of wine for having won the quiz by about five points. I know I shall be in for some stick at the next meeting for having got together a "professional" team of pub quizzers only one of which (me) was an Ambassador!  We all enjoyed another round of drinks at The Plough before finally heading back for Winterslow.  A satisfying evening after such a grey day.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment