Tuesday, October 02, 2012

Pub Theology Kicks-Off

Woke this morning quite late (for me) at 8 a.m. in Hove.  After a wash and a cup of tea I sat in Peter's lounge looking at the readings I am preaching on at Whiteparish on Sunday - Mark 10:2-12 - Divorce. That is going to be an interesting challenge. In fact, I am tempted to tell my story and ponder the question - would God really punish somebody for after removed himself from an unloving relationship into one where the person can grow their spirituality?  Indeed, I have already written a reflection on this as part of my course and may use it for the sermon.  I will speak to Jane D (Associate Priest at Whiteparish) for her views on this as she knows the congregation there better.  Peter cut the wood for Mary's shelving and the top board of her built in wardrobe which he carefully wrapped for me to take back to Winterslow today.  After this we enjoyed a cooked breakfast at Wheelies where, as usual, Peter attempted to put the world to rights and described how he felt local politicians were no longer in control of Brighton and Hove.  As we are both former councillors in the twin towns our conversation inevitably turns to local politics at some point!  I left Wheelies at 11 a.m. and began driving along the A27 back to Wiltshire when I hit a massive traffic queue on the Shoreham by-pass.  I therefore left the main road and drove along the A283 to Storrington then through Pulborough and Petworth and back home along the famous A272, photographing a rather good example of an old fashioned telegraph for for Si C on the way.  Sara was out when I arrived back home and I wrote up yesterday's blog as I had been away overnight and needed to catch up.  This evening we kicked off with the first Pub Theology meeting.  There were seven of us which was a nice number - all invitees - and Roger put on  a meal of sausages, chips and onion gravy which is being paid for by the church.  The conversation flowed well and we discussed such topics as "why the need to go to church and why those who are non or rather un-churched no longer go";  "what is and how do we pray?"; "the creation story"; "the need for the church to be more visible in the community" - all great subjects which show there will be no shortage of conversation in the weeks and months ahead.  We let the un-churched lead the debate and the level of conversation was very high.  It has been agreed that we shall meet again on  the second Tuesday in November as I shall be away for the first one.  We need to keep the momentum going and may very well make the meetings fortnightly rather than monthly.  I feel very confident that this initiative is going to succeed and I am really excited about it.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment