Monday, October 08, 2012

Civic's Installation Night

A potentially stressful day today as tonight I was installing my successor as Master of the Brighton & Hove Civic Lodge in Brighton.  This required me to learn quite a bit of ritual from the little blue book as well as some additional words and work in what is called the "inner working".  My best way to revise this is to type it out from memory and then go over where my memory is weak. I spent most of the morning doing this.  After an early light lunch I drove over to Brighton - partly along the coast road as there are major roadworks between Worthing and Shoreham on the main A27.  Peter was quite stressed out when I arrived as he was still trying to work out the seating plan for tonight's dinner.I have to admit to feeling quite apprehensive as we entered the lodge room and felt sure that my memory would fail me once the ceremony began.  I did have a few crib notes and was determined to ensure that my successor, Gunther, was installed in a competent and sincere manner. Although the ritual wasn't without its glitches - not just me! - I think we did a fairly competent job and the Assistant Provincial Grand Master made some very complimentary remarks about the way the ceremony had been conducted.  It was an immense relief to me to and I enjoyed the excellent dinner of whitebait, steack au poivre, chocolate mousse and coffee.  It was interesting to reflect that I nearly joined the APGM's law firm.  If I had done so, then I would probably still be in Brighton and would never have met Sara, had children and be pursuing the life I now do.  He made a reference to my dedication and hard work whilst living so far away.  The relief however, of handing over the reins of the lodge cannot be described.  Just immense!  I stayed tonight at Peter's and had a good night's sleep - feeling restful in the fact that I didn't have anymore learning of ritual to contend with this week.  I have a busy enough week as it is.  How the time seems to fly by at the moment!  The nights are soon dark (and they'll be even darker sooner in a couple of weeks) and the weather is certainly turning chilly.  Winter is approaching fast. 

No comments:

Post a Comment