Thursday, March 21, 2013

A visit to London - and Rev's Church

I was up at 5 am and made tea for myself and Sara.  I had a long day ahead of me with attendance at a seminar in London.  I drove to Grateley and caught the 0619 train to London Waterloo arriving in the capital at 7.30 a.m.  I had my trekking stick with me as I knew that there was likely to be quite a bit of walking around the city today.  I was attending a morning seminar at the offices of Clyde & Co. in Aldgate, commencing at 8.45 a.m. and my plan was to catch the Circle Line train from Embankment and give myself enough time for a cup of coffee before we started.  The journey started with a tube ride on the Bakerloo Line to Embankment and I was delighted to see a Circle Line train already in the station.  My delight turned to frustration and anguish when all the passengers alighted and an announcement came over the public address system to the effect that all trains were delayed due to problems further up the line!  I had to re-direct myself and caught a Northern Line train to Tottenham Court Road, a Central Line train to Liverpool Street and finally a circle Line train in the opposite direction to Aldgate.  This meant a great deal of walking underground.  I eventually limped my way to the venue where coffee and breakfast were provided.  An excellent seminar this morning I came away with much information on the forthcoming changes to employment law which I can send out to our clients.  I also met up with Claire who had worked with Sara at FP. After the seminar, which was in Hounsditch, I caught a bus to Shoreditch to have a look around the church used for the comedy series "Rev" (St. Leonard's Shoreditch) where I met one of the individuals who acts as verger.  I took quite a number of photos which I posted on Facebook.  I then caught a 242 bus to the Elephant & Castle and a tube to Lambeth north for a snack and coffee at The Hub, Oasis.  I hobbled back to London Waterloo Station from there and caught the 3.50 p.m. train back to Grateley arriving back home at 5.30 p.m. Another twelve hours out of the house.  Tonight at house Group we viewed the film Prince Caspian, the sequel to "The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe". To bed, tired but feeling that the day had gone well.  A trip to London is always something to enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment