Thursday, March 28, 2013

Maundy Thursday

This morning I attended the wonderful service of the Eucharist of the Chrism in Salisbury Cathedral when clergy and lay ministers from all over the Diocese have their vows renewed and the oil of baptism, confirmation and ordination are blessed.  Thee was a galaxy of clergy including the three bishops and priests and deacons all arrayed in white.  I saw two of my tutors amongst the clergy as well as a number fellow trainee lay ministers.  Following the service and a cup of coffee with friends and colleagues, I walked across to the Salisbury and Wiltshire Museum cafĂ© for a lunch time meeting with the Chaplain of Alabare Care Homes and the secretary of Wiltshire Churches Together to discuss my possibility of becoming a Volunteer Chaplain to Alabare.  A really useful and productive meeting.  This evening I attended the Maundy Thursday agape meal and service at Farley which took place in three locations - a marquee in the church yard, the church hall and finally the church.  Mary, as part of Rockface, had a part to play in both the marquee (betrayal by Judas) and in the church (arrest of Jesus in the Garden of Gethsemane).  The service was punctuated with Latin refrains and I did feel that the supper could have been left to run a little longer before it became punctuated with formal liturgy. About 70 people took part.  I didn't stay for the vigil as I needed to get Mary back home.  Another busy day tomorrow - Good Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment