Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Mistaken for a Roman Catholic by the Bishop

Sara went to Andover today with her colleague Manny to take part in the Andover Branch of Ladies Who Latte ("LWL" - not to be confused in the diary with Lay Worship Leaders).  I hobbled across to the doctor's surgery in Winterslow where I was kept waiting nearly an hour before being seen - I really wished that I had taken some work with me to do.  Shaz from Morning Star was there and we compared notes on the state of our knees!  I was seen by a middle-aged lady doctor whom I hadn't seen before.  She had with her a student who took copious notes.  I was examined on a couch and my right leg and knee thoroughly inspected.  They could not conclude any diagnosis and have requested a blood test and an x-ray (the latter requires a hospital appointment) to see if it might be gout, arthritis or damaged bone or muscle.  This evening I attended the commissioning of the new Chief Chaplain to Alabare Care Centres by the Bishop of Salisbury.  The service took place at St. Osmund's Roman Catholic Church which is only 500 yards from and in sight of the cathedral - yet was the first time an Anglican Bishop of Salisbury had ever set foot in a Roman Catholic Church in the city. It was a very enjoyable service and not without humour when the Bishop thanked me for inviting him to attend "my" church.  I politely informed him that I was an Anglican visitor like himself and I hoped that he would be licensing me as a minister of his church in the cathedral on 28th September!  We chatted briefly over cake in the parochial hall afterwards.  I also met the Rev. Steve Godwin whose preaching slot I had taken at Whadden recently I arrived back in Winterslow in time for this month's pub theology meeting in the Lord Nelson where Pete supplied us with sausages and chips.  Unfortunately, this month we only had four in attendance, all of whom are regular church goers, but apologies were received from the others who have confirmed that they want to continue to come along to future ones.  

No comments:

Post a Comment