Saturday, March 16, 2013

Great win for Saints; Disaster for English Rugby; Lottery win for me!

A cold wet day today. My knee continues to hurt and I did not relish having to walk the mile from where I park my car off The Avenue to St. Mary's Stadium this afternoon.  Two big sporting events today - Southampton are playing Liverpool in the Premier League and England take on Wales in the Six Nations at the Millenium Stadium in Cardiff.  We arrived in Southampton early as I knew it would be a well attended match and that it would take me much longer than the usual 20 minutes to walk to St. Mary's - in fact it took me 35 minutes - almost twice as long.  We called in at our usual chippy in St. Mary's Street before walking on to the game. Fortunately the rain held off long enough for us to get safely under cover in the stadium.  What a wonderful game - Saints were 1-0 up after five minutes and then went 2-0 up before Liverpool pulled a goal back just before half-time.  A third goal for Saints in the second half clinched the three precious points for the home side.  A brilliant and very important win.  Just like the last season when Saints were in the Premier League - and then went down - a 2-0 win over Liverpool.  Despite my painful knee, Thom and I were in good spirits as I hobbled back along the mile to the car.  We listened to the rugby on the radio and to England being thrashed 30-3 in Cardiff - the biggest defeat ever for England in the Six Nations. St. Edmund's RC Church, close to where we park the car was festooned with papal flags and bunting to celebrate the election of Pope Francis I.  We called in at Tescos on the way out of Southampton where Thom used the toilets and we both did the lottery. This evening I discovered that I had picked three numbers and so won £10.  A really good day - especially if you are Welsh!  Not if you are a Scouser!  Grimsby lost their home game today and so their chances of promotion back to league football are disappearing rapidly. 

No comments:

Post a Comment