Sunday, March 31, 2013

Easter Sunday - Dawn Liturgy

Mary stayed over with her friend Izzy tonight and so Thom, Sara and I got up at 4.30 a.m. (in reality 3.30 a.m. as we put the clocks forward at 2 a.m.) in order to drive into Salisbury and attend the Easter Dawn Liturgy service at Salisbury Cathedral.  We parked in Crane Street a little after 5.00 a.m. and walked to the west front of the cathedral where we were each given a votive candle and service sheet.  At 5.30 a.m. the clergy, including Bishops Nick and Graham, came out and a bonfire was lit on the green opposite the west front. The service began and we then all walked into the cathedral to the new font. There followed an hour and a half of liturgy which included baptisms, confirmations and communion.  For the second time in four days I was given the host by the Bishop of Sherborne (he having administered it to me on Maundy Thursday). Once more I saw my senior tutor and other members of the clergy I know including David D who had first suggested that Sara and I should become involved in our local village church in Winterslow after we had left Salisbury (we had worshipped regularly at the cathedral between 1996 and 2001). After the service we were invited into the cloisters for champagne and could have stayed on for breakfast but decided to get back.  Having taken communion in the cathedral none of us went to Winterslow Church this morning and we had quite a lazy morning - although I did cut the front lawn.  Sam and James with Wilf came over after they had been to Winterslow Church and had a glass of cava with us and a general natter.  We had roast beef for lunch and spent the afternoon being quite lazy and watching the TV.  It is quite sunny today but still bitterly cold.  I phoned Mum this evening.  She continues to be in good spirits.  She sent us a lovely Easter card which I shall treasure. She would like me to look into the loss of a Grimsby trawler in 1942 (S.T. Leo - GY36) on which a relation of her next door neighbour was lost.  I did some initial research which I gave her over the phone.  I will follow this up later.

No comments:

Post a Comment