Monday, October 05, 2009

A Sad Day

I woke Sara this morning when I got up at 6.30 a.m. Her response was - "I need to sleep" thinking that we had only just gone to bed. A bit of a shock for her to discover it was now morning! I had a bowl of cereal and a cup of tea and then drove into the office early as I had a telephone court appearance at 9.30 a.m. and a conference with clients at 8.15 a.m. The morning really flew past and I had a light lunch of an egg mayonnaise roll and mushroom soup. This afternoon I joined Sara and about a hundred others for David D's funeral - a young man of 46 years of age who worked in our Salisbury office who died suddenly. Many of his colleagues were there and Sara and I had the opportunity of catching up with them. There seemed to be as many former employees (if not more) than current ones. David's family seemed very stoic and David's own eulogy was read out. There were many wet eyes in the Salisbury Crematorium this afternoon. He was a great ornithologist and ringer (especially of swans) and I have placed a picture of a swan on this page in his memory. There was a wake at the Milford Hall hotel afterwards. I got back home at around 5.30 p.m. and Tom and I played on his xBox for half an hour - I am absolutely useless and Tom despairs of me. I get myself and others killed in the armed combat his games portrays! Good job I didn't have to fight in any of the last wars. Sara is out tonight at one of her V.V. parties and so after completing this blog I'll indulge myself with some Sky TV watching on the history channels!

No comments:

Post a Comment