Thursday, October 01, 2009

Provincial Grand Lodge - End of Term

Awoke quite early this morning although I had the day off and didn't have to go into work in either Salisbury or Dorking. Switched on my laptop and, surprisingly, it powered up successfully. It kept working long enough for me to transfer all my documents (including photos) on to memory sticks so I at least know that they are safe. It kept working for so long as I worked actively on it. Leaving it to go and have a shower was a mistake as when I returned the screen was blank and it would not respond to any movements on the keyboard. Indeed, that seems to have been its dying breath as I am having to type this up on Sara's machine. I left home at around 9.20 a.m. to get to the City Hall for the Provincial Grand Lodge Meeting rehearsal. Unlike my time as a Sussex Provincial Officer, the rehearsal for us deacons only lasted about 50 minutes and I was out again at 11 a.m. I went for a stroll through Salisbury - a weird feeling as I am normally rushing from one engagement or mission to another. I stopped off at Costa Coffee and had a very pleasant caramel latte before going on to the Guildhall for lunch. The luncheon menu consisted of chicken, gammon, new potatoes, apple coleslaw, green salad followed by apple crumble and coffee. The meal was served with wine (I had the white). My table companions included the new Junior Warden and my successor as Senior Deacon. Also on the table was the new Provincial Orator who has added me to his list of potential lecturers to go around the Province to deliver the official Grand Lodge lectures. Back to the City Hall, the ceremony went off well and I relinquished my active rank which became a past rank. I now hold exactly the same rank in both Wiltshire and Sussex until next June when, hopefully, I will be promoted in Sussex. On the way home I called in at PC World where the business manager restored my confidence - he seems to be the only one who really knows what he is doing. My new laptop should arrive at their shop sometime next week. Although it comes with Vista I shall install XP like our other laptops. Tonight we had the first of seven weeks of our new House Group course - 1 Timothy. There were four of us - me, Sara, Ivan and Rosemary. We had received apologies from Mike and Caroline, Maxime, Janet and Klynn. I do hope we get more next time. The meeting ran well, I thought, and to time. I must get some more books though. Tonight writing this blog up on Sara's laptop and will probably have to do this for the next few days until my own new laptop arrives.

No comments:

Post a Comment