Sunday, October 18, 2009

Another Sporting and Churching Sunday

Awoke at 7 a.m. this morning and dozed for a little while. I remembered that Mary was singing a solo in the church choir this morning and I was reading the lesson. I showered and made tea as usual and had a bowl of cereal. Mustering the troop, Mary and I drove on ahead to church. Unfortunately, I missed Mary's solo as I had to leave just before the end of the service to take Tom to his football match at Barry's Field against Dinton Juniors. Tom and I got to the football ground at 10.30 a.m. and he ran off to join his team mates. I popped in to the Pavilion to use the toilet and smelled the wonderful aroma of cooking bacon. Following the smell I found myself in the function room where Shaun and Peter Y were chatting, making bacon butties and drinking tea. They asked me to join them and I had a second breakfast. We chatted about such diverse topics as the fortunes of the Saints and the worrying statistic that there are more suicides per thousand population in South Wiltshire than anywhere else. According to Peter, the national average rate is 4 per thousand whereas in South Wiltshire it is 19 per thousand! Tom played well this morning passing the ball well and accurately and it is a pity he didn't get any goals to show this statistically. Clarendon Juniors (Tom's team) beat Dinton 11-0! Should have been a goal for each team member then! I heard a number of the parents on the sidelines remark on Tom's skills which made me feel very proud. I was absolutely hopeless at football as a schoolboy so he certainly hasn't inherited his skills from me! One sport I have always been reasonably good at is golf. After a typical Sunday lunch of tacos! Richard called and we went off to Wilton for nine holes of golf. He had a new set of clubs and used this as an excuse for some of his mis-shots and over-hits. Although I haven't played for about three weeks I was pleased to go round in 45 although I didn't get any pars today. Tonight I went to the Deanery Mission Service at Farley. The Deanery Mission Project this year has been Save the Children in Ethiopia. Over £3,500 was donated from the Deanery churches this evening with still more to come. I spoke to Mum briefly on the phone this evening. She seemed to be well - but suffering from the usual aches and pains. We spoke briefly about holidays and the usual topic of the fortunes of Grimsby Town FC and Southampton FC which seem very different at the moment. Tomorrow I am going to Dorking - my case in Manchester having settled.

No comments:

Post a Comment