Friday, March 12, 2010

Cycling to East Grimstead

I spent most of the day pottering about in Winterslow. Sara went to do her waitressing at Lord Nelson at lunchtime and I decided to get some exercise by cycling over to East Grimstead - about four miles there and 4 miles back. It was a relatively easy ride there as it is mainly downhill and the wind was behind me. I parked my bike up by the church porch and then went for a walk along the old Southampton - Salisbury Canal taking pictures of the bridge and the canal itself - it's empty now by the way. I also wandered up the track to the railway bridge - it reminded me very much of my bike rides in Grimsby as a lad when I would cycle up Peaks Lane to watch the Cleethorpes-Kings Cross trains from the top of "Peaks Tunnel" - a bridge really. As I went back to Holy Trinity Church, East Grimstead, to get my bike it started to rain heavily and the ride back to Winterslow was miserable with cold rain blowing in my face (I now had a head wind) and struggling up the hills - I must confess to getting off and walking from time to time. However I got back to Winterslow in about half an hour and stopped off at the village shop to get Sara a card for the children to give her on Mothering Sunday - this Sunday. This evening, I took Tom to his football practice at Bemerton and bought an Indian curry readimeal for us to have from Waitrose. We finally booked the hotel in Dublin and I came up with the idea of hiring a car for the four days to provide maximum convenience and flexibility. I will also put together an itinerary as I feel that will make life easier for us all.

No comments:

Post a Comment