Saturday, March 13, 2010

To the Pensioners 1-0

Found it difficult to wake up this morning - must have been all the exercise and fresh air yesterday. Usual arrangement in the morning - Sara and Mary off to ballet and shopping in Salisbury, Tom and I were left to clear up and, in my case, write some emails and book the hire car for the Dublin trip. We left home at around 12.40 p.m. and drove to Southampton for the game against Leeds United. On the way we saw the cruise liner Saga Pearl in dock. This reminded me that the cruise season starts again in earnest soon and many liners will be calling in Southampton. I hope to get some good photographs over the next few months. Tom and I bought JPT Final scarfs today for our trip to Wembley before going into the stadium. The ground was absolutely packed this afternoon - 30,794 in attendance. Andy was back (having recently missed 10 goals in two matches) and quipped about my damaged camera! I produced a rug and a packet of Werther's Originals to remind him that he was now an honorary pensioner amongst pensioners. John for his part, bless him, had brought a packet of Starburst Choozers knowing that we sometimes suck those during a match. So as not to disappoint Andy, whom I know reads this blog, I've posted his picture with John and the packet of Werther's! It was a tremendous game - Saints were on fire again and Leeds hardly had a shot on goal. There were, like last week at Tranmere, some dodgy refereeing decisions but following a goal from Harding, we were able to hang on to a 1-0 lead and come away with 3 points. Poor old Grimsby however, could only manage a draw against Morecambe and Cheltenham beat Burton Albion away with a massive 5-6 scoreline. The Mariners are now six points adrift from safety. Their days as a league club are rapidly running out. I see little hope for what was once a great club. Tonight Sara cooked a haddock kedgeree and managed to explode two boiled eggs in the microwave. In fact, they exploded as she took them out - with bits of yolk and white flying everywhere and she burned her hand. I am feeling really tired as I write this at 10.40 p.m. Tomorrow I shall attend the 8 a.m. Early Morning Eucharist at East Grimstead as I cannot attended church at any other time because of Tom's football commitments. This will mean getting up at 6.20 a.m. Time for bed I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment