Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Last Post

Woke in Peter's house at around 7.00 am and read World's End" for a little while. Peter was still feeling very unwell - he thinks it might be the effects of the antibiotics he has been prescribed. Needless to say he was not feeling well enough to go round to Wheelies so we had a light breakfast of tea and buttered toast - just the thing actually after a good dinner last night. I gave him some advice on an overdue debt he is chasing from a client and we discussed the progress of the initial research work for our proposed extension. I left Peter's at a round 10 a.m. The weather was absolutely gorgeous as I drove westwards with the Sun behind me. I stopped off briefly at Cosham to take some photographs of the remaining traction poles used to support the former Portsmouth trolleybus system. Last time I had been in Cosham there were still quite a number being used to carry street lighting. Today I could only find two - one a very rusty specimen in the middle of a roundabout and the other supporting electric sodium street lighting (pictured above). New lamp standards have been installed throughout Cosham but this one has, somehow, survived. Back home in Winterslow I wrote my two articles for the Parish Magazine and this evening, Tom and I went to St. Mary's to watch a very disappointing performance from Saints against Swindon. Swindon Town were clearly the better side in the second half and although we had a number of chances to score, including hitting the woodwork twice, I have to hand it to Swindon - they were the better team winning 0-1. It is easy to see why they are doing so well up in the play-offs. I think tonight also signalled the last post on Saints's play-off dream.

No comments:

Post a Comment