Friday, March 19, 2010

A day in Lincoln (shire)

I awoke at 6.45 a.m. today and wondered where Sara was until I remembered that I was actually in Grimsby! I made tea for myself and returned to the bedroom where I wrote up the Mission Giving Report for the Church’s Annual Report. Unfortunately I was unable to send it to Richard as I have no Internet connection here in Grimsby. At some point I’ll need to find an open server in order to check my emails and post my blog. Mum prepared breakfast which consisted of cornflakes, bacon sandwich and yohgurt. We decided to spend the day out in Lincoln but Mum wanted to visit the Brigg Garden Centre on the way. We therefore took the old A18 road from Grimsby to Brigg where, after buying fuel at Tesco’s, we tried to find the Garden Centre which, from Mum’s description, was in the Scawby/Hibaldstow area. Unfortunately we couldn’t find it so we continued on to Lincoln. We managed to get parked close to Lincoln Central Station and walked into the High Street. We had a light lunch of baked potatoes and cappuccino coffee before spending the rest of the time visiting a number of shops. Mum managed to choose a belated birthday present of a jumper from the Edinburgh Woollen Mill shop. On leaving the car park, we found ourselves in a difficult one-way system and a traffic jam. I decided to take the road to Bardney and Market Rasen via Wragby and we drove back up to Brigg to try and find the garden centre. As luck would have it the road into Brigg, which we had to take, from Caistor took us directly to past the Garden Centre we had been looking for. It was a really exceptional place, an enormous emporium of garden and craft products. I bought some French beans and chili pepper seeds in the hope that I can, at last, grow my own vegetables successfully for the first time. Tonight we visited the Hainton Inn Carvery – real ale at £1.75 a pint! And a roast beef dinner for £3.50. Quite a bargain. As I write this, the rain is now coming down heavily. Tomorrow Blundell Park beckons!

No comments:

Post a Comment