Thursday, October 27, 2011

Holy Communion in Nassau Cathedral

The weather was back up to the usual high humid temperature today for the Bahamas.  After a leisurely morning in bed, went swimming in the local pool and ate breakfast.  I went into Nassau on the ferry (the cost of which has risen from $3 to $4 in the last two days) and was given passage on a rather smart glass bottom boat instead of the usual rather dubious looking ferryboat.  Arriving in Nassau, the weather was extremely hot as I walked up to Bay Street and then along to MacDonald's for a nice cold Bounty McFlurry!  Having finished that it was time to go up to Christ Church Cathedral, the Anglican cathedral in the centre of downtown Nassau, where I attended Mid-Week Holy Communion conducted by Rvd. Father Colin Hume, the Vicar Priest of Nassau.  There were only three of us in attendance and I was the only white person.  I nearly found myself having to read the intercessions but I left it to rather smart young parishioner who was clearly a regular attender.  The service was held in a side chapel and it was taken from the Book of Common Worship as re-written for the West Indies.   I had a lovely chat with Father Hume after the service.  Back in the sunshine of Bay Street, I visited a pharmacy to get medication for Sara's toothache and my midge bites which are becoming quite irritating.  I also visited Colombian Emeralds to buy Sara a matching set of earrings and pendant for her topaz ring bought last time we were out. I returned to Paradise Island on an overcrowded ferry where I witnessed four Carnival cruise ships in harbour - Carnival Glory and Carnival Conquest (sisters),  Carnival Pride and my old friend Carnival Fascination (a ship I had seen arriving in Southampton from the builders for her naming ceremony and maiden voyage in 1995). Norwegian Sun was also in making it five massive liners in all together. Back at Atlantis, after checking that our powerboat ride would definitely be going on Saturday, I went to find the family which involved my attending the bingo in the theatre.  They were not there - nor could I find them by the poolside.  I therefore returned to the apartment and watched some TV.  This evening we went to Murray's Deli in the Marina for dinner and then back to watch the most thrilling baseball game I can ever remember seeing.  St. Louis Cardinals managed to win after 11 innings and after Texas had been only one strike away from clinching the title.  More baseball tonight in the big final game.

No comments:

Post a Comment