Saturday, October 01, 2011

Heroes

 Another really hot day today.  I started the day by attending Morning Prayer at All Saints with Andrew, the new curate.  It was still cool at 8.30 a.m. but soon the temperature soared to record the hottest October day since records began.  Amazing weather we are having but with the threat of a really heavy winter to come.  Tom and I spent the afternoon at St. Mary's Stadium in Southampton witnessing a fantastic 4-0 win over Watford - 2 penalties converted by Rickie Lambert and 2 goals (from Da Prado and Lee Holmes) during open play.  Middlesbrough could only manage a 0-0 draw today and Derby lost against  Leicester in an evening kick-off.  I also managed to sell two Calendars at St. Mary's - one to each of the "Andies".  Sara went over to Sophie's to do a make-up party for her daughter's birthday party this evening and stayed on for an Indian takeaway whilst Tom and I stayed in to watch the football on TV and ate a Chinese takeaway from Porton.  I ended the evening by watching an interesting recorded documentary on Hans Litten - the Jewish human rights lawyer who prosecuted some SA Storm Troopers in 1931 and summonsed Hitler into the witness box to give evidence of the strong-armed tactics authorised by the Nazi Party.  He ultimately paid with his life in Dachau.  A brave man.  I have to confess that before this documentary I hardly knew of him or the extent of his bravery.  Another Dietrich Bonhoeffer.  I wonder whether I would have been so brave?

No comments:

Post a Comment