Tuesday, November 20, 2012

A black day for the Church of England

Another miserable, wet and cold day today.  Sara's first full day at Champney's.  I woke up at 5 a.m. after relatively little sleep because of my late night watching the Marco Polo film.  I managed to marshal the children off to their respective schools without too much problem.  I spent most of the day on household chores washing, washing-up, clearing away boxes on the landing and a trip to the recycling dump and the bank in Salisbury.  I also picked up Mary and her friend Izzy from school very early (2 p.m.)  This evening I decided that we would have a Chinese takeaway only to find that the local takeaway at Porton is now closed on a Tuesday.  Having promised them this I had to drive back into Laverstock by the long way round because of the closed railway bridge on the A338.  As we approached the roundabout I heard the appalling news that the House of Laity in the General Synod had failed to reach the 75% majority vote necessary to pass the legislation to allow women to be ordained bishops. A really black day indeed for the Church of England. Non members of the Church and non-Christians will see this as our church being out of touch with modern day thinking.  The irony is that the majority of people voting - in House of Bishops, the House of  Clergy and indeed the House of Laity were in favour yet because there wasn't 75% in all three houses the measure was rejected.  There will be much healing and prayer needed to overcome this split.  Tonight I feel almost ashamed of being a member of the Church of England and I see this rejection as having a major negative effect on mission - my real passion for the church.  Feeling quite low and depressed this evening.  This wet, dark, miserable weather does nothing to lift my spirits particularly on a day like today.. 

No comments:

Post a Comment