Saturday, November 10, 2012

Vocation and Calling

A long but very interesting day today spent at the Diocesan Education Centre (DEC) in Wilton attending my last classroom session for the present module - "Living the Christian Life".  today we looked specifically at vocation and spiritual direction with sessions on journal writing,"thinking outside of the box", looking at examples of biblical callings and the common features and differences between each.  I was particularly pleased that we looked at one of my most favourite pieces of Old Testament Scripture - the calling of Samuel in the Temple. That piece has always given me a lump in my throat from an early age and have always wanted to hear God's call in such a clear manner.  For me, his calling has been more of a nagging.  We worked hard until 4.30 p.m. with 45 minutes break for lunch.  The session on journalling was of interest too and I am so glad that I have been able to stick to a discipline of writing this blog on a daily basis (with just a few exceptions). I feel that I must now also keep a separate journal with my more intimate and innermost thoughts which cannot be published.  It will simply be to explore my innermost self and measure where I am on my spiritual journey.  As I left the DEC I listened to the Saints v. Swansea City game on the car radio.  Normally, Thom and I would have been there but my day at the DEC had prevented that.  Saints were winning
1-0 until a stupid move by our new goalkeeper gift Swansea and equaliser.  The game ended 1-1 which at least meant that Southampton were lifted off the bottom of the league table. Tonight Sara, I and Mary watched "A Passage to India" one of my favourite films from one of my favourite directors, David Lean.  Full of meaning and interest which I enjoy each and every time I watch it.  I see something new and different in it every time - the mark of a good film. 

No comments:

Post a Comment