Saturday, November 24, 2012

Michael McIntyre in Liverpool

Up early this morning and packing to go away for 36 hours.  Thom did his paper round first thing and Sara cooked us breakfast.  We finally left for Liverpool at around 10.15 a.m. arriving at Malcolm's flat at Aigburth in Sefton Park at about 3.30 p.m.  having stopped off a Sandbach Services and having to take a slight detour through Stoke-on-Trent to avoid congestion on the M6.  We also had a detour at Runcorn as the roads leading to the Mersey Bridge are being repaired at the moment. We visited Steve's Chippie (now just Steve's) for an assortment of different fayre.  Sara was intrigued by the wealth of variety and the relatively low cost compared to similar establishments in the south.   I think Liverpool never ceases to surprise her with its friendly and eccentric character. We were even given a free one and a half litre bottle of coke to wash it all down.  Sara and I shared an excellently portioned Singapore chow mein - my favourite from Steve's.  It was interesting to see that "sausage dinners" are still on the menu - now £3.20 compared to the 15p cost when I was a student and frequented Steve's.  This establishment has been going since 1956!  Amazing to think it existed when I first visited Liverpool in 1957.  Tonight we all attended Michael McIntyre's Showtime at the Echo Arena by the Pier Head.  What a great evening of entertainment with many observations on life which could have come from observing my own family here in Wiltshire.  I particularly liked the Dishwasher story (buy his DVD if you want to know more). It was pouring with rain as we left the Arena and Malcolm picked us up in his car.  I got soaking wet waiting for him to arrive and felt a bit under the weather tonight.  I didn't join Sara and the kids for bed until around 1 a.m. - Malcolm and I chewing the cud as we tend to do over a glass of whisky (the rent which I always bring).  

No comments:

Post a Comment