Thursday, November 22, 2012

A terrible day

A wild and unpleasant day, weatherwise, today.  It is Thanksgiving Day in the USA today and so I raised the Stars and Stripes on our flagpole but, unfortunately, as the wind and rain started to batter us I had to remove the flag and dismantle the pole for fear of substantial damage to both and to other property (should the pole fall).  It remained dismantled for the rest of the day.  I called in to see James this morning but had only been with him for about ten minutes when his parents arrived from Northampton. I made them hot drinks and stayed about an hour before returning home.  I had a number of phone calls to make today and letters to write which occupied my afternoon. The weather worsened this afternoon - almost to hurricane levels and I heard tonight that our friend Susan was driving along near The Rectory with five children in her car when a a tree crashed on top of the car flattening the engine.  If they had been travelling a fraction of a second quicker they would probably have all been killed or severely injured.  Tonight we held our House Group at James's due his is broken leg preventing him form attending at our house.  We discussed the General Synod's vote on women bishops and compared the differing attitudes of various denominations on a number of issues - especially the sacrament of holy communion.  Returning home, the roads were running with water and the wind lashed with rain.  I was glad to get back home.  I watched the second part of the documentary drama on the life of Marco Polo.

No comments:

Post a Comment