Monday, May 06, 2013

Champneys - Day 1

Sara was up early this morning to take Thom around on a paper round he is doing for somebody who is on holiday this week – some extra cash for him.  I had good intentions of getting up really early this morning but I was still aching after all the grass cutting and lawn raking from yesterday afternoon’s work.  I worked this morning in the study – updating my blog and paying some important bills – including the cost of the flight tickets for our October break.  Beautifully sunny this morning, if not a little too hot for my liking.  I packed for my two-48 hours retreat at Champneys.  Although it is not a retreat in the literal sense of the word, it affords me the opportunity of having a break from the world, eating healthy food, reading scripture, walking, communing with nature and generally feeding my inner soul.  Always makes me feel good about myself and gets me away from the rat race. I eventually finished my packing (the one thing I really hate about going away) and set off for Forest Mere near Liphook a little after 1.30 p.m. arriving at Champneys at around 2.40 p.m. (the Radio 4 afternoon play “The Interrogation” was still in full flow as I pulled up).  I checked in, booked dinner for 8 p.m. and changed my thalassotherapy treatment from this afternoon until tomorrow afternoon.  I went for a swim, steam room and plunge pool before an enjoyable dinner of mackerel on rocket and couscous, rump steak with Hollandaise sauce and roast potato wedges, followed by mango foam.  Read some more of Adrian Plass’s hilariously funny “Adrian Plass and the Church Weekend”.  Even funnier when you think that some of the characters can be identified with people in your own church. Watched a fascinating TV programme this evening about a London cabbie who tried his hand at driving a taxi in Mumbai.  He was astounded by the traffic and more particularly, the dreadful poverty which abounds the city.  An awful city of contrasts where the highest valued property in the world exists alongside the worst poverty. Makes me angry and feel there must be something which we can do.  Didn’’t sleep too well tonight –very hot and kept thinking I was driving a taxi!   

No comments:

Post a Comment